Paying for auto insurance is not what most people love doing, but it’s something we all need to do. While different states have different minimum requirements when it comes to auto insurance, about every state require car drivers to have some sort of auto insurance coverage, it’s the law.
Auto insurance is expensive, and its price will continue increasing, that’s why I’ve writing this simple guide containing some tips on how to save on auto insurance.
The Car You Drive
The make, model and year of you car is probably the most important factor when it comes to the cost of your car insurance. The best way to start saving money is by using a car that is cheaper to insure! The rule is simple, the newer and more expensive your car is, the more expensive your insurance will be.
Auto Insurance Discounts
As you may already know there are many factors that insurance companies look at when giving you a car insurance quote, but what you may not know is that most insurance providers offer different types of discounts, see if you qualify for any of these and take advantage of it. Here’s a list of some of them:
- Good Driver - You may qualify for a good driver discount if you haven’t had any accidents or traffic tickets in the past 3 to 5 years, don’t expect this to apply to you automatically, if you haven’t had accidents or tickets in the past 3 to 5 years ask for it!
- Safe Vehicle - If your car has an alarm, anti-theft system, airbags, ABS, automatic seat belts or other safety features, you may be able to save some money.
- Military - Military personnel can easily obtain car insurance discounts.
- Low Mileage – Do you live near work? if you drive short distances to work you can get a discount from your insurance provider, it’s easy, the less you drive the less likely you are to be involved in an accident.
- Age - Older drivers pay less, as simple as that.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles under the same insurance policy can save you money.
- Multi-Policy Discounts - A good way to save on insurance is to cover all you insurance needs under the same provider, that includes life insurance, home insurance and of course auto insurance.
- Student Discounts – College graduates can obtain good discounts from most insurance companies.
Your Credit Score
Having a good credit history will not only get you low interest credit cards or loans, but it will also help you to save money on auto insurance.
Another great way of saving on auto insurance is by shopping around, there are many websites out there that allow you to see multiple car insurance quotes instantly, once you find the one that best fits you go can apply right there. By doing this, you may end up saving hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year in auto insurance.